Monday, June 12, 2006

Today's Blog is Brought to You By...


The colour Red!

Lots of red on the blog today, well many pictures of one red finished object!

Here is the substantially complete Saturday Market Bag, by Jodie Danenberg

Specifications and Modifications:

- I used Butterfly Super 10 mercerized cotton in bright red. It is very strong and doesn't stretch much (great for shopping bags) plus I had it on hand, (great for stash reduction...see shameful stash picture on sidebar) It requires exactly one skein to complete a bag that is slightly smaller than Ms. Danenberg's original.

- It is knit in the round to eliminate seaming.

- It has a bottom with a pocket suitable for grocery lists, debit cards or a couple of dollars for shopping.



I started by knitting a small garter stitch rectangle (about 4 X 6 inches) added a purl row to allow it to foldover nicely, continued until the piece was equal on both sides then decreased one stitch each side, every row to create an envelope point. I seamed this rectangle to create a pouch and picked up the 90 or so stitches that I needed for the market bag from the edges of the pouch. (a crochet hook is a must for anyone trying this at home)

If I had to do it again, and I just might, I would make the pouch a teeny bit larger. I did have a gauge swatch left over from the original skein of Butterfly Super 10, so this would have been possible without requiring a second skein.

- When not in use, the bag can be stored inside itself. Picture this with a cute button, I just haven't had a chance to pick through my collection for a suitable specimen.



Anyway, that was this weekend's project. That and moving all the furniture from our downstairs to our upstairs and our basement in anticipation of new flooring. Lots of fun.

5 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger aija said...

VERY cool!! Was it hard converting the pattern to in the round? I haven't looked that closely at it (fear of more wip's!) but thank you so much for sharing your mods!

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chelle, This is amazing! LOVE the pouch idea. I'm going to make one!!

DC Renee

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

Nice modifications! Love the colour too.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow! How utterly cool! What a great design! I love what you've done with the pattern!

Ruinwen
:)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Marla said...

I love the modifications that you've done! The pocket is a great idea and being able to store the bag within it. I'm currently knitting another, but doing it in the round and I think it maybe going quicker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home