Monday, January 29, 2007

Good News/Bad News Monday

First the good news! My blocking board finally arrived in the mail! I ordered the larger one, which is 51" X 33". Isn't it nice!




Now the bad news...I won't be using it for a while...:-(

Last night, while washing the dishes, I did EXACTLY what my mother told me NEVER to do. I soaked a couple razor-sharp kitchen knives (brand new this Christmas and therefore INSANELY sharp) in the dishwater that I was using. While scrubbing a cookie sheet with a potscrubber, I gave myself a nasty slash to the middle finger of my right hand.

I was doing pretty well containing the bleeding. Ok, It bled like a stuck pig if I did anything more vigorous than lie on my back with my arm held high in the air, but I can work around that. After 4 hours it wasn't clotting, so I zipped off to the ER for a stitch or two...and a tetanus shot. Ick.

On the plus side, it was sort of surreal reading "Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures" by Toronto ER doctor Vincent Lam while hanging around...and around... a Toronto ER. I definitely recommend the book, if not the reading venue.

Surprisingly, while I can't really apply a lot of pressure to the finger, I can sort of knit. This is important chiefly because tomorrow is the kick-off of the Lunchtime Knitting Club at the girls' school. Although, I suppose that having to rely on halting, deliberate motions with needles will make me more empathetic to my students initial efforts.

As a special treat this year, Mrs. M. is not only letting us use her classroom, but will be offering crochet lessons as well!

Ok, I better scoot and cast on 25 stitches on a whole bunch of starter needles...it could take some time since I'm working "lefty".

5 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Chelle....how horrible. Sending prayers, reiki and a big hug. I hope your finger heals really soon!

Ruinwen
:)

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Yosemite said...

OMG!! I hope your feeling better soon. I remember my mother had a similar experience. Left a definite impression on me.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Vaedri said...

Ouch! I've had some bad cuts from kitchen stuff before, too. Two different cuts from the same food processor blade taught me a lot about proper storage of spare parts. Luckily for me, this was all pre-knitting. :) I hope you heal quickly!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

Funny that. Stabbed myself with a fork unloading the dishwasher this week and bled like a stuck pig. First thought as I am writhing in pain? Can I still knit? We knitters are a strange lot. Hope it's healing well.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger dulcedosa said...

Chelle,

Are you feeling better?
I hope so.

OH BY THE WAY!
You have been tagged! Check my blog. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home