Wednesday, January 10, 2007

At long last...the Adirondack Sweater!


Once again, I apologize for the lousy photograph. Hopefully, when it is finished blocking, I can coax DH into modeling it! This is Elizabeth Morrison's Adirondack Sweater In person, the sweater looks exactly like the picture on her site. I don't know why this is so astounding and yet comforting to me at the same time, but it is. Anyway, I highly recommend the pattern. It is well written and very straight forward and there is exceptionally little finishing required! (a big plus for me!) I would have completed it in no time if the warm weather hadn't intervened last spring and put me off knitting huge woolly one piece sweaters until late fall!

Notice also that my blocking board (piece of insulation with turquoise checkered tablecloth pinned over it) is no more. One of my offspring was playing with it and snapped it in half. (grrrrr...) Anyway, this drywall-type-stuff will do in a pinch. I did breakdown and order a proper blocking board today. Whether or not I receive it remains to be seen. The vendor seemed a bit concerned about shipping to Canada, so fingers crossed.

I don't think this counts as stash knitting. I bought a BIG pile of taupe coloured Paton's Classic Merino yarn when Lewiscraft went out of business last spring with only a general idea of what I was going to do with it. Turns out I overestimated my project requirements by a LONG SHOT and could probably knit a matching sweater for me out of the leftovers!

I have a new big project that I just cast on! The mother of one of my DD's friends asked me to knit a cardigan for her mother. She's having trouble finding something in the stores that is simple and classic. Mrs. J picked out a crew neck cardigan with two diamond lace panel on the front. (Sorry no photo, I really need a new scanner), so I'm beetling away with a big pile of Astra.

Not much other news, the kids are back in school and life returns to normal for now.

4 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Vaedri said...

The sweater is beautiful! I still haven't got up the courage to try a grown-up sweater, but I've taken the first step - ten balls of Lion brand wool are sitting on my shelf, waiting.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Rochelle said...

The sweater looks great! Sorry about the blocking board. Which board did you buy? The idea of getting one has been kicking around in my brain for years but I want one I can block HUGE stuff on and hence no blocking board for me yet.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Feels so good when a sweater is finished, doesn't it? I'm debating making that same one for Jeremy, but I'm not super keen on knitting a whole sweater in the round. I like seams. It looks fantastic, though!

Getting my blocking board was a pain in the ass. In order to avoid UPS customs brokerage charges (the vendor could only ship UPS), I had it shipped to my friend in NJ and she mailed it to me regular USPS. In the end, I have to say it was totally worth it. I love it.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Chelle said...

Rochelle, I'm pretty sure that I'm ordering the same blocking board that Maggie bought. I believe it's a bit larger than 30" X 50"...so big for me, but totally insufficient for a lace tablecloth knitter like you!

Maggie, I emailed the company and described my history with UPS. They did agree to ship it USPS instead. It isn't cheap, but it can't be worse than UPS plus USPS..can it??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home