Monday, May 28, 2007

Silly Contest...with a Real Prize!


Ok, I could've sworn that the LAST issue of Interweave Knits was the LAST issue of my subscription, but given that my real LAST copy arrived in the mail a couple days after I bought one at the newstand, I guess I was mistaken.

So, I have an extra copy of IK Summer 2007 (I'll even pick up mailing costs) for anyone who can give me a great, good, or merely workable answer to the following question:

What can I knit for my kids' teachers? It's that time of year again and I'd like to make small gifts for at least some of them. (FWIW, the girls have two male teachers, a female teacher and two female EAs amongst them)

Quick/clever/fun are all useful criteria.

Oh, I have started a little something for one of the male teachers. It's only about 25% of the way there, so I'll hold off picture posting until I have a bit more to display!

Thanks in advance!

8 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger Vaedri said...

I know one thing I've been thinking about knitting for myself is a market bag for those quick runs to the grocery store. There's a nice pattern at Magknits here: http://magknits.com/June06/patterns/market.htm

They might make a good gift, I think. It's hard to know what people will like, though. I all too often default to dishcloths. :)

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know it's summertime, but scarves and/or mitts are great gifts, especially for yard supervision duty, and it works great for a male teacher as well.

I thought that my subscription had expired too and bought one!! I even checked my account online first.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I don't need the mag but Nana who used to be a teacher said she loved to get bags. Maybe a felt bag?

:)

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

How about washclothes? They work well for either sex. Then you can tie a bar of fancy soap to it for the woman or put them in a mug.

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a teacher, I have gotten many gifts over the years that I liked and others that I've hated. Here are some recommendations:
1. Scarf or shawl (especially if they use a/c or have bad heating at school).
2. The washcloth idea with soap and bath goodies is nice. Add a candle to it and then it's relaxation in a pouch. The Mason-Dixon book has a good pattern for one that you can lace with ribbon.
3. Truthfully, I have always enjoyed stationary (blank cards) because teachers always write notes. Maybe make a felted box and put in some notecards and nice pens.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Alma said...

I think Fetching and Dashing both fingerless mitts from Knitty would be wonderful.
Good for cold summer nights outside, a chilly office in winter and for helping kiddies tie their shoes outside in winter.
I would like a pair myself....

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger knitty_kat said...

may I suggest knitted book marks? Gawd I can't remember WHERE I saw it now, but someone knitted 2 small socks on a string as book marks. Looks small quick and cute!

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chelle,

How about a felted coaster for the coffee cup on the desk? You could knit in a design, like stripes or circles, or knit in an apple! If they don't drink coffee, it could be a place mat for the pencil cup. No desk? Use it at home!

Your DC Renee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home