Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Happy Mother's Day to me...


Once again, not much knitting, cuz things have been silly busy.


Mother's Day is this weekend and to celebrate, I'm taking two of my three daughters on a "Mother-Daughter" Camping trip up north. I'm not sure what medications I was taking when I agreed to this.

First of all, I'm not a camper. I camped with school trips in high school, pitched tents in the driving rain illuminated only by headlights, built cooking fires from soggy kindling, begged tentmates to accompany me out into the dark, scary woods at midnight when nature called at inopportune moments and did not enjoy it. In university I majored in biology...plants and animals. I believe it was preparing for yet another "data collection" trip , while I was being instructed in how to construct an impromptu igloo using nothing more than my snowshoe, that I first contemplated public accounting. Or maybe it was when I fell through the ice covering the pond whilst collecting "mouse box" data...one or the other...but you get the idea. I'm no nature girl.

Somehow my girls' friends' convinced their mothers to convince me to take them on this "bonding experience".

I've been busy with a zillion other kid-related activities: Church plays, Folk Dancing Jamborees, a myriad of lessons, school fundraisers (including an inhumane amount of paperwork associated with a raffle) and so I haven't had too much time to get stressed about the trip. My fellow travelers have remedied that by providing lists of things that I will absolutely, positively need to have close at hand. Sunhats, sunscreen, sleeping bags, flashlights...I was prepared for that stuff, but the bug spray and mosquito netting kinda knocked me for a loop. Apparently, besides mothers and daughters, there will be other guests at the camp this weekend.

The dreaded Black Fly and
The common mosquito.
So, I'm preparing for a Friday afternoon departure, packing my sun and insect repelling supplies, ensuring that I have dry footwear for three days (cuz of course it's scheduled to rain this weekend), locating maps, flashlights, OTC medications and mommy potables to last the duration of the trip and sewing lead weights into the clothing of my youngest...cuz she's smallish and might otherwise be carried off by the flying insects.

wish us luck.

Oh, FWIW, I will bring my knitting.

7 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Blogger kimbelina said...

Happy Mother's Day! Enjoy your camping trip. I'm one of those people who's blocked out the horrors of Girl Guide camping and then occasionally thinks it might be a good idea to head up north one weekend. Thankfully good sense kicks in before I make any real plans and I spend a day at the spa instead!
At least you'll have your knitting.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Amanda (9) is quite convinced that camping is fun & exciting and keeps dropping subtle-link-an-anvil hints about going.
I camped enough as a child with my family to still hate the thought of it. The packing, the unpacking, the forgetting of a vital something, the rain, the cold, the packing and the unpacking. I'm sure that there was fun in there somewhere but it doesn't stand out.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah - better you than me; have a great w/e!!!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Vaedri said...

You are bravery than I. Best of luck - hope you have a great Mother's Weekend, and not too many of those uninvited guests turn up!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

More to the point? What medication will you take BEFORE you go?
Seriously, good luck. Roughing it for me is Howard Johnson's instead of Holiday Inn.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Have a great trip! :)

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Rochelle said...

Good luck on the trip. From what I have heard on the news the weather should cooperate this weekend. That, at the very least, should help things out. I am sure you will have a great time. Happy Mother's Day.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger knitty_kat said...

try not to worry about it so much. I'm sure you will get a whack of knitting done and have some fun!

BTW, try not to eat bananas this week for some reason it attracts mosquitos. Instead eat garlic - they don't like it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home