Friday, April 13, 2007

Veris Horribilis

Without dragging down the tone of what is supposed to be a frivolous blog about my adventures as a tricoteuse, allow me to reveal that it has been a horrible spring (Veris Horribilis) Chez Chelle. No death or dismemberment, just unceasing waves of small to mid-sized crises affecting me, DH, the kids, the dog, my family and friends...it seems that no one I care about has been spared.

But I am convinced that since today is Friday the 13th and nothing bad has happened so far, that things are finally turning around for us Chez Chelle!

Fortunately, my knitting has for the most part been spared by the plague. Here is Clare's "Theresa" wrap cardigan from Debbie Bliss' Junior Knits

I'm not too keen on the ribbon ties used in the pattern and have to figure out some button alternatives for Clarebear.




This is the Adrienne Vittadini Eyelet Yoke Sweater from Vogue Knitting a couple of seasons ago. I converted the collar into more of a turtleneck than the pattern suggested and am generally pleased with the results except for the nasty tendency of the lower edge to curl. It's been blocked and pressed gently, but it still resists lying flat.

A kind-hearted SNB member suggested that "it really doesn't look like it isn't supposed to look like that"...but then again, she is kind-hearted. Apologies, once again, I'm using the floor as a model. I'm lousy at the mirror/photo thing and haven't yet taught the kids how to take snaps that keep the garment in the frame, while avoiding panoramic views of my nostrils.




Oh yeah and another minor burr under my saddle this week...

This is the before picture. The handle broke off from the lid of my stock pot, which doubles as the cover for my frying pan and deep casserole pan. Ratfeathers.

Here's the funny part. They don't make my style of cookware anymore. Fancy that, discontinued after only 20 years. That's the part I find funny. More than 20 years ago, DH declared his honourable intentions through the gifting of durable housewares. It gets me to pondering...How did so much time pass without me noticing ...and how do I solder a pan lid handle back on to the lid?

4 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Rochelle said...

Sorry you are having such a difficult time. I hope I didn't worsen things with my rant email yesterday. I hope things are on the upswing for all of us.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I'm sorry that everything has been going blah. I love the two sweaters though. I hope things get better for you soon. :)

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger RhettaRic said...

The turtleneck is too pretty not to be thoroughly happy with it. Why don't you try picking up stitches around the bottom and doing some kind of finish to it - even an I-cord bind off??

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Chelle said...

Joufknister, I think you're on the right track. The only problem I'm having is with the type of yarn used for the sweater. Trina is lovely and super soft, but it's a bit like Calmer in that for it's gauge, it is relative weightless. A different bind-off on the bottom still won't keep the sweater edge from curling. I'm almost ready to try the Chanel trick and stitch a tiny chain along the bottom edge to keep it hanging down straight. I'll have to remember to avoid this sweater for airline travel...could be tough to explain to security!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home