Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...



What could be more festive than spending hours waiting to cross the border with thousands of other Canadians in order to purchase holiday tchotchkas from Target?

Yup, that's how I spent my Saturday. On the road at 5:45 am, home before bedtime and significantly poorer for the experience, the neighbourhood mommies and I started holiday shopping this weekend. I can't disclose the wonders that I acquired for fear of my little darlings peeking at the blog, but suffice to say that US department store crap is sufficiently different from Canadian department store crap as to render it "exotic" in the eyes of 8 and 10 year olds.

I did get a bit of knitting done in the car (when it wasn't too dark to see) and I have knocked off yet another Everlasting Bagstopper. I have to cast on for something else, anything else, because my near total devotion to knitting with mercerized cotton over the last few months is giving me nasty tendonitis.

No finished object photos yet, but I can share some of my non-gift TOPS purchases:

No pre-holiday trip to the US would be complete without the acquisition of



French's Fried Onion Rings, perfect for Xmas Green Bean Casserole! and..



For some reason, Red Velvet cake never really gained popularity outside the US, despite its obvious charm.

Ok so I haven't made much of a dent in my gift shopping yet, but at least I have the meal covered!

3 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i LOVE red velvet cake, cupcakes, etc. when i found out Duncan Hines made it, i swooned. thanks for reminding me i must finish my shopping. ;)

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Vaedri said...

A Target near my hotel makes my work trips to Minneapolis a lot less painful. Sounds like you got a great haul!

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger knitty_kat said...

I'm so close to the border that I'm not sure why I don't go shopping. Hmm, could be that I'm already broke and I prefer to avoid the temptation.

Sounds like you had a blast - Red Velvet cake? Never heard of it, but sounds interesting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home