Friday, March 03, 2006

I'm not sure I'm up for this....


I'm trying to get gauge for an Alice Starmore Aran sweater, which I had heard rumoured is only slightly less challenging than negotiating peace in the Middle East.


Here are three attempts at a Na Craga gauge square using Patons Classic Merino Wool and 4.0 mm, 4.5 mm and 5.0 mm needles. I don't think any of them are remotely close.

By the way, do not attempt to adjust the colour setting on your monitor, the photo is Black & White. I could claim that this was a deliberate attempt on my part to enhance the detail and texture of the swatches, but really, I changed the colour setting by accident and can't figure out how to switch it back using my currently available number of brain cells.

I'm tempted to soldier on, pick a set of needles and knit the back of the sweater as sort of an "uber-gauge-square". Blocking can really alter the shape and size of large woollen garments, so this might not be as silly as it sounds. Besides, I'm rather committed to the yarn that I have on hand (courtesy of Lewiscraft's recent misfortunes) and I'm getting tired of working on Gillian's sleeveless hoodie.

No pictures of the hoodie so far, it really is just a big, orange rectangle and highly uninteresting.

Ellery and Gillian are back at school today, Clare remains a excellent host organism for whatever phlegm-producing virus has cycled through the school. It's getting rough on both of us. Clare is usually a very high energy child who loves physical activity and arts and crafts projects (the messier the better). For the first couple days of her confinement, she was content to lie on the couch, watch TV and whimper. Now, she is feeling, if not sounding better and she is bored silly. On the other hand, I've been waking up multiple times during the night and early morning because of the sniffy pups and my patience and energy levels are both razor thin. A combustible mixture to say the least.

Any thoughts on how to proceed with the Alice Starmore Na Craga sweater would be appreciated. Positive health thoughts appreciated too!

1 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Sending more prayers and Reiki to Clare and the rest of your family.

Can't help you with the whole swatching thing. I proved this week that I have no idea how to adjust gauge and sometimes using a bigger or smaller needle just won't work.

Good luck!

Ruinwen
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home