Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers...

for me at least is that they are finished!!

Warning: If you are my SIL...look away!





It's my nephew's Christmas present! It's part of a theme...the girls brought home an adorably soft Tigger toy for C from our Disney trip and I knit a Tigger sweater to go with it.

It's Kieran from Bees Knees Knits . I fell in love with the self-striping sock yarn/toddler sweater combinations when Devan first appeared in Knitty a couple years ago. I just had to wait for someone of an appropriate size to show up!! Thanks nephew C.

The sleeves are Opal Sock Yarn in Tiger and the body of the sweater is Jawoll Sock Yarn Cotton in a deep, slightly heathered charcoal colour. Thanks Haley at Knitomatic...
for selecting the colour for me. Once again, my first instinct (in this case a flat black) would have been totally wrong for this project. I appreciate your gentle suggestion for a softer shade.

I didn't tinker with the pattern that much this time. I did simplify the ribbing on the sweater body and sleeves (simple 1 X 1 ribbing without contrasting colour), but other than that, I made the pattern as written. FWIW, the patterns are very clear and spell out specific techniques for things like decreasing etc. when they are important for the appearance of the project. Gotta love that!

Anyway, one down...cast on something new. Gillian has a knitted toggle coat from the consignment store (I desperately needed something for her to practice "buttoning" with and EVERYTHING in the stores this year has a zipper.) that is flattering, but not a perfect fit in the sleeves. The pattern is VERY simple with lots of straight knitting, so I figured that careful measurements and gauge squares, plus a bit of math should allow me to duplicate the garment using some bulky acrylic stuff I have on hand.

This is similar to the sweater that I'm trying to duplicate:


In other knitting news, I'm almost done my first Fleece Artist Sock.

and...notice the WIP bars on the side of the blog. I'm pretty proud of them, even if they don't line up correctly!

6 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Blogger Chelle said...

Maggie, notice the armpit blotch of black...lol The one that caused me to reknit the sleeve was about twice that size and wouldn't have been hidden under the arm when the sweater was worn!

I'll have to look up Knitting Around. I'm not to eager to do something for Gillian with Aran patterns, I'm really looking for something quick and easy that she can wear this season rather than an heirloom piece. (Don't forget that Gillian confuses "sweater" and "napkin" conceptually if not verbally. That said, Mommy might like an Aran toggle sweater!

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love the sweaters. Great job Chelle.

How did you get the WIPs on your sidebar? Curious bloggers who want to add the same thing to their side bar want to know, namely ME.

See you next week.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Sue said...

What an adorable sweater, I am sure he will look adorable in it too. Isnt it great making something for wee people, and it is quick and easy too.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

That is such a cute idea for sock yarn.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger aija said...

That's such a great use of the Opal Tiger! I love that yarn, but love how you use it even more!

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your Tiger sweater! How darling. You will have to post a pic of your nephew in it. Thanks for the comment on my blog, by the way. (I don't get too many!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home