Tuesday, December 18, 2007

That's Why I Married Him...

Because he makes me laugh...

When you've been a couple as long as DH and I have (8 blissful years DH claims...we've been married for 15) it's easy to forget the little charms that attracted you to each other in the first place. Occasionally, when you aren't looking, you catch a glimpse of them out of the corner of your eye.

DH is a notoriously difficult person to shop for. For the most part, he doesn't care much for "things" and cares even less to pay for "things". When asked what he would like for Christmas, DH's stock answers include "lasting peace in the Middle East" or a "really workable strategy for sustainable economic growth in China". In less altruistic moments a "powder blue 1974 Mustang Mach II with white leather interior and Jennifer Connelly in the passenger's seat" also makes the list.





So when DH blurted out of nowhere yesterday, "hey, I know what you and the kids could get me for Christmas...one of those snazzy snowshovels like the neighbours have!", I had a mission.



And mission it was. I hit half a dozen hardware stores and bigbox chain stores (you know who you are) to return home exhausted, humiliated and empty handed. And then I remembered DH's sense of humour. Sending me out 48 hours after the largest snowstorm in a lifetime to acquire a snowshovel...brilliant. I can't accurately describe the looks of delight, barely contained guffaws, tearing eyes and sips of coffee expelled through nostrils, in short, the brief but sweet moments of complete mirth that I provided for overworked, abused and underappreciated retail workers today.

He makes me laugh...or a laughing stock...I forget which.

Anyway, while zipping around looking for snow removal equipment, I did manage to drop off the first 4 of my teacher presents:

Everlasting Bagstoppers packaged with a delightful selection of homemade baked goods and a Tim Horton's card! (For anyone interested: cranberry swirl cake, snickerdoodles, my MILs holiday bars and chocolate espresso cookies!)

Clare posing with teacher gift. Ignore the booze bottle in the background, the kids know its off limits before 5pm.

1 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger knitty_kat said...

charming or evil? Hmmm!

The ergonomic shovels are supposed to be really good too. Better on the back. Besides, aren't you the one doing all the shoveling?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home