Thursday, December 20, 2007

Yums and Yucks....

That's what Clare's teacher calls the morning Grade 3 circle time. Each child has an opportunity to share a Yum or a Yuck that has happened in her life with her classmates.

My Yum...

Isn't it, well, Yummy? It's a holiday present from Maggie, a skein of her delectable handdyed mediumweight sock yarn. She picked out the colours and dyed it just for me! How special is that?? It made me all squidgy at SNB on Tuesday. (check out her other fabulous wares at Dyed in the Wool )

It is so lovely that I truly wish I was a more accomplished sock knitter! Look at the beautiful shades of turquoise and teal...reminiscent of...

My Yuck!

Or more appropriately Haley's yuck. At lunchtime today the plumbing under the sink sprung a leak. In order to trace the leak, I quickly cleared out everything in the undersink cabinet with a broom for later disposal. While hiding under the sink with a flashlight, looking for drips, I heard Clare say "Mom, Haley's chewing gum". Not quite. I had a mouse poison cube hidden deep in the back of the trash cabinet just in case the mice managed to get in to the house via the backyard hose connection.

Anyway, mayhem ensued. Calls to the vet, digging through the basement to find the packaging for the poison (I'd only used one cube ages ago and could scarcely remember where I'd hidden the rest.) A drive to the vet's office at speeds slightly exceeding posted limits.

I won't keep you in suspense. Haley is fine. The vet administered an emetic (ick...TMI) and some activated charcoal and sent her home with Vitamin K pills as a precaution, but the truth is she probably ingested a "Less than Lethal" dosage for a mouse...and she does weigh 75 pounds.

Funny isn't first brush with accidental poisoning and I've been a mum for 10 years now.


At 6:16 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Oh, your heart must have stopped until you got to the vet! Scary!

I'm so glad you like the yarn, though! :)

At 8:25 AM, Blogger knitty_kat said...

Kudos on you . . and it wasn't even a human child poisoning!

BTW, I totally would have done the same. I'm sure the vet bill wasn't pleasant but really, who would want to take the chance? Glad it's all ok (YOU and the dog!)

Nice pRon! LOL


Post a Comment

<< Home