Friday, July 15, 2005

Finished Via Diagonale!

Ok, I finally got off my butt and finished Via Diagonale. I may have to find a new name for it, because I've made a few modifications and it looks quite a bit different from the original.

Here is my version...




It's more rigid than the original. I liked a little bag that Maggie from SNB uses for her sock knitting. It's a small straw bag that stands up by itself, so it's perfect for small knitting projects.

Maggie's bag looks sort of like this, but cuter!




Wendy at Knit and Tonic (BTW, a MUST READ blog) used fusible interfacing to give her Via Diagonale some "umph", but the Butterfly 10 Cotton that I used was going to need more structural reinforcement.

So, I used plastic canvas to create a bottom for the bag...


And made sides out of the plastic canvas too. I laced the canvas together into a sort of flat loop to give the bag a rounder shape when it was standing. I used my I-corder to whip up a couple handles, stitched them to the plastic canvas, then I covered the whole mess with a lining...


I'm sure there is a more elegant way to secure everything prior to stitching, but this worked.



I'll have to carry it around for a while and decide what kind of closure it needs. I'm thinking that some sort of I-cord frog/large button contraption could work. (Something about Velcro, or even a magnetic snap just seems out of character with this bag.)



So finally, I have a finished object and more importantly a container for my other WIPs when I'm carting them about in public!

2 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger WandaWoman said...

Beautiful purse. Love your modifications!

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Orlop =) said...

That is FAB...I generally use cloth hangers...easier than messing about with needls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home