Monday, October 03, 2005

A miniature hat...or a really big swatch...

You tell me...


This is a prototype of Kyle's hat. (Kyle is the kindergarten student with alopecia) I based the size on rough estimates of a sample of kindergarten boys at my daughters' school. (Try to do that without looking like some sort of perverted stalker!) I based wrong. Earlier on in the knitting process, I had suspicions that the hat might be too small, but opted to continue knitting it anyway.

That strategy is slightly less silly than it sounds, because for a dpn-knitted garment, like a sock or a hat, I find that finished gauge is different than swatch gauge knitted on straight needles. And as long as you are knitting a fairly tiny tube swatch on dpns, might as well just start on the garment. You just have to be prepared to frog some stuff! Anyway, I was stuck waiting for a Go Train when I suspected the hat wasn't going to fit, but had another hour to fill with no other knitting, hence the mini-hat.


To avoid another disappointment, I broke down and asked a friend to take stealthy measurements of Kyle's head. Turns out, I had a near-perfect head model living under my own roof. My daughter Clare is one year older than Kyle and blessed with a ton of hair, so she wasn't an obvious choice, but she and Kyle have practically identical noggins.

No more melon models!

The black watch cap is knit in Micro-Spun from Lion Brand. I did pick up a spare skein in a different colour today and some Lion Suede to test knit as well!



Now that I have hat yarn, I can take a little break from Cinxia-a-long I like the way that it looks so far, but the twisted stockingette stitch is rather slow and I could use a little change of pace. Note the classy yarn bra...free with purchase from the LCBO!




No progress on seaming Elle's zippered cardigan yet, it's too grey a day here and I'm just not that ambitious!

2 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Hi Chelle,
I did use a long tail cast on, yes. It's pretty much the only cast on I use. You're right, the twisted stockinette is slow going. I may take a break for a baby gift later this week.

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the model!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home