Sunday, January 15, 2006

And For My Next Trick!

Teaching 24 Grade 3 and 4 students how to knit, over lunch hour! Taa-Daa!

I'm sure that this is possible. I've researched the topic, practiced on small groups of 8 year-olds, and yet I still have a strange sense of foreboding.

I'm reasonably well-prepared. About one quarter of the students have attempted knitting before as part of a classroom "knit an afghan for an animal shelter" project. The others are new to knitting and I have prepared starter kits for them. Over the summer, I squirrelled away "starter needles", shorter needles in a non-slippy plastic. Over the weekend, using a skein winder and a fancy-schmancy electonic kitchen scale, oldest daughter and I turned a 1000g ball of acrylic worsted into 25 forty gram starter skeins.

Before



















After

Being a mean mum who is overly concerned about the lack of "mathematics basics" in our schools, I made Ellery subtract 40 from each of the residual numbers on the scale until we were finished winding.

These skeins were used to produce 25 cast on stitches on each of the starter needles and packed up into tidy Zip-loc freezer bags for easy toting.

Tomorrow is the big day, I'll try to remember to bring my camera and post about it!



Oh, here is Ellery wearing her new bolero. I'm not completely sure about the fit, but it is being worn by a pre-teen with fidgetitis when it comes to her clothes. The sweater has already been stuffed under sofa cushions, used to lasso the sisters and stretched over her knees while lounging in front of the television. Maybe the fit issues aren't related to design or blocking technique.

4 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Chelle said...

Maggie, the scale weighs in single gram increments, but single grams are really at the edge of it's precision. This is, your 7 gram sample is probably between 6.5 g and 7.5 g, so not suitable for weighing gold dust, but probably fine for sock yarn!

Want me to bring it to the next SNB?

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Thanks for the tip on the blocking board, I will definitely look into it! Good luck teaching all those kids!

Liz

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like your style!! You're not "overly concerned" and you are not alone. Most days I am quite certain that my children will need to carry a calculator with them everywhere for everything! lol

Ellery is lovely and the shrug looks great on her! I think that shrugs are the kind of garment that you have some leeway with the fit.

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there chelle!

luv the shrug! so cute! one day i will be able to knit something like that. i am still trying to make the helmet liners. don't know how it will turn out. i am sure that i will probably start over about 4 or 5 times before i figure it out! lol

that is so cool that you are teachin younger children how to knit. you must have lots of patience. that's one thing i don't have especially with my own daughter. i took her to a knitting class and you have to be on top of her while she's knitting and i could of killed the instructor. dont' show her how to purl till she gets garter down!

they charged $40 which included needles, yarn and a snack. i think it was either a 1 1/2 hour or 2 hour. can't really remember.

that has to be the biggest thing of yarn i have ever seen. what's cascading yarn? is it the way it's woven or bound?

kath

 

Post a Comment

<< Home