Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Overwhelmed!

That's the only way, well, the only sort of positive way to describe the knitting class. There were a fair number of last-minute additions to our ranks, so the final number was closer to 30 than the original 24. That's a pretty big group for something like beginner's knitting!



Once we got everyone set up with their knitting kits, the lunch hour (actually more like 45 minutes what with eating time) just FLEW by. A good number of the kids have a little bit of experience with needles and we were able to disperse them amongst the non-knitters to help out. I'll have to round up some more adults to help next week. Sorry, no pictures of the class. I brought the camera and a spare battery, but things got crazy fast!

Next Monday, I'll put everyone in small groups of half a dozen or so and assign a "coach" to each group. Last time the "teachers" sort of "roamed" the group stopping for a minute or so to help each student who was looking perplexed. Once again, your positive knitting thoughts are requested.

In order to hold the interest of the more accomplished students, I'm considering starting a "felting" project with them, something simple like a pencil case or pouch-type bag. I have quite a bit of feltable yarn in a huge assortment of kid-friendly colours, so I may bring all my odds and bits in and let them create their own "self-striped" balls by tying together metre or two lengths. I probably should knit a sample this week huh?

2 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a great start - I'm sure that there have to be other knitting adults who would be willing to help you out. The felting sounds like a fantastic idea - a very tension-forgiving project.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Bonne Marie said...

You have my greatest respect and awe for doing such an ambitious and wonderful thing for the girls! I've been asked to teach myself and I'm totally chicken - you're helping me get over my fear of helping. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home