Thursday, July 27, 2006

Reading, Writing and 'Rithmetic...

Last week our family watched an episode of "That'll Teach'em", A group of modern-day GCSE(highschool) pupils are put through the rigours of O levels and life in a 1950s state grammar boarding school. Amongst other things, the show suggests that one of the many glaring deficiencies in modern-day education is a failure to master basic arithmetic calculations.

While I can argue that the ability to perform long-division calculations quickly and accurately is far less relevant now than it was in the years before calculators and spreadsheets, I don't disagree that students today seem less able to perform "number manipulations" than students 30 years ago. (I'm basing this statement on my undoubtedly unbiased recollections of my skills back when I was the "glasses held together with BOTH tape and a safety pin", flash-card geek, relative to those of my DDs and their classmates.)

Yup, kids today can't add, subtract or multiply...let's not even get started on long-division.

Where is this going??

Despite the fact that I was schooled with plenty of drill-work and rote memorization of times tables and the like, I missed the basic math/knitting priciple...

If you double the strand, you halve the yardage.

Doh...



Oh, well it was good practice for the "real tank top", which I will restart using



Fortunately, the new yarn looks equally fetching in my citrus tote.


2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Misery club meeting! I can totally sympathize - math is my Kryptonite!! Fortunately I'm trainable and I (almost) never make the same mistake twice. Unfortunately there are a lot of mistakes out there waiting for me ...

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know that I just e-mailed you a copy of the ring code from the RingSurf admin. site. You’re listed as a member of the Fiber Arts Bloggers webring, but your blog is in the queue at the moment as you haven’t the ring code up on your blog. If you want to e-mail me when you have the ring code back up and whatnot, I’ll check it out and get you back into the ring as quickly as I can. Let me know if you need any help! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home