Saturday, January 12, 2008

So This Is What They Mean By "Tweens"...

I went out shopping with my oldest this morning. E is 10 years old, needed new "undergarments" and had a gift card for La Senza Girl. This is what we came home with:



LaSenzaGirl's pre-teen bra, available in dozens of colours. It's slightly fancier than what I wore under my wedding dress many years ago. In fairness to E, she did select a couple serviceable sports bras (purple if you can imagine) This bra was for "under her dressy clothes" and it was considerably less "Frederick's of Hollywood" than many of their pre-teen selections.


The same store was clearing out Webkinz at half price, so Cheeky Monkey (renamed Zee-minkey after a favorite scene from a Pink Panther movie) came home with us.




On the way to swimming lessons we needed sustenance. Ellery's selection was a donut with multi-coloured sprinkles (a "Hawaiian donut" depending upon where you hail from) Revolting to anyone over 10, huh?




So, this morning was pretty much an encapsulation of life with a pre-teen daughter. Tarty undies, stuffies and sprinkled donuts...sometimes almost a young woman, sometimes just a teeny little girl.

Last night was E's first "youth dance" at the neighbourhood community centre. It's very tame and well-supervised, but it's still a dance. Ellery went with a gal-pal and had a great time. They primped for an hour (after delivering newspapers) before heading out to the big event which consisted of hanging out in a rec. centre eating chips, drinking soda and DANCING WITH BOYS. My baby actually danced with a couple boys from her class.

I am so not ready for this.

6 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

My first bra looked like a bandage with straps and I was terrified anyone at school would find out I was wearing it. E's is so pretty! Times have changed, because if my mom had tried to buy me such a girly bra, I think I would have fainted. I was so not ready to be a girl.

Aw, dancing with boys! Times have changed there, too. My first dance was in grade 7 and the kids were all way too shy to dance together. Then again, Alex had a grade 8 date to his first dance when he was in grade 6!

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

At least she didn't have the fancy new bra with which to lead them into temptation...

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You poor woman - do you have enough yarn with which to calm your nerves?

Amanda's been going to dances for a few months now but I've been spared the bra shopping so far. I'm so there with you in Not Readyville!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Dreams of Yarn said...

We've done the bra shopping and I'd have to agree with you about the tarti-ness. Wowsa! We haven't yet had our first dance, I'm apprehensive but I must say your calmness about the whole experience is encouraging!!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Yosemite said...

When I was pregnant with Joseph I so wanted a little girl to name after my mother. I had 2 girls first and then 4 boys and that was my last chance for a girl. I was a little disappointed when I found out he was a boy but now I am so glad. It is a lot different now than it was 20 years ago when my girls were tweens. Knitting, as you know, helps with the stress.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger knitty_kat said...

are you kidding? That's what they have now? My goodness I'm behind . . I don't even wear bras as nice as that!! LOL (yer doing a great job BTW)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home