Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Half full, or half empty?

I had two baby blanket projects on the go and one of them is still going...

So is 50/50 an incomplete failure, or a partial victory?

The Alphabet Block Blanket is tricky because you have to follow a large chart closely, but otherwise is fairly straight forward in that there are no complicated stitches, cables or increases/decreases. My 40 year old eyes must be going on me because for the life of me I can't knit 10 rows without frogging at least two of them!

Part of the problem is likely my decision to use a double strand of a very fine washable wool that I have in my stash. Keeping track of individual stitches when using a double strand of yarn in nearly the same shade as your bamboo needles is asking for trouble...even before you factoring in the aging eyeballs!

So, I'm taking a little break from the Alphabet Blanket. I still love the pattern and think it will make a lovely gift for SIL, but I need to re-think my choice of yarn.

Perhaps the merino wool that I'm using for the Big Bad Baby Blanket (BBBB) would work. If I have a few shreds left over when I'm finished the BBBB, I'll knit a swatch for the Alphabet Blanket. FWIW, the BBBB is also knit with a double strand of yarn, but doesn't require a chart and is knit in stockingette and moss stitch only. Much less of an issue for the double strand/eyeball thing. Also, the BBBB is knit with two strands of different colour yarn, so stitch identification is a bit easier than with the monochromatic version.

Here is the little bit of the BBBB that I've completed.



The two colours, a powder blue and a barely there caramel are blending together very nicely. The resulting marl is much nicer than the photograph suggests. All in all, it is a very simple, yet quite lovely baby blanket.

Now, if I can only not figure out a way to ruin it...!

1 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I love the BBB! The colors are so cozy. The caramel really makes all the difference!

I can't wait to see the progress on your alphabet blanket, it sounds wonderful!

Ruinwen
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home