Monday, August 08, 2005

Mummy's Summer Vacation...My favorite day of the year!

Yeah, one day...It's tough to get away when you have three kids with busy schedules, but I did manage to coax my hubby into wrangling the pups last Saturday so I could "go out"!

I treated myself to a massage, a facial, dinner out with a friend and ice cream, but the best part of the day was a "Going out of Business Sale" at a yarn store across town. I know it is unseemly to capitalize on the misfortunes of others, but the lady who owns the store is retiring and the new owner didn't want to assume the inventory, so my glee isn't quite as rapacious as it might initially appear.

Anyway, despite needing more yarn like a hole in the head (see archived posts Re: 36 miles of stash) I did pick up small quantities of these beauties:



Some Butterfly 10 Cotton in springy shades of periwinkle and peach!


A mysterious wool/silk blend from Elite Classic Yarns in a heathery tan/brown colour. It's crispy rather than soft and there isn't enough for a sweater, but I think that I might be able to eek out a textured vest for my little nephew in the UK.



A buttery-soft merino in luscious shades of brown and taupe. (sorry, once again my blog writes cheques that my photographic skills cannot cash!) It is similar to, but a bit lighter weight than Zara.


And a little pile of these! I'm planning on starting a lunch-time "Learn to Knit" club at my daughters' junior public school, so it will be useful to have some inexpensive beginner's needles to lend out.

I guess I should get busy knitting, with all that extra stash to work through!

2 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Hey, I'll also be teaching lunchtime "learn to knit" classes at my daughters' elementary school this Fall. I love those Red Heart needles. I've taught a few girls so far and they make a HUGE difference. Unfortunately, I don't think my LYS has enough needles for everyone. Perhaps we could trade "learn to knit" secrets?
Cheryl.
http://mason204.journalspace.com

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Chelle said...

Hi Cheryl!

I've had NO experience teaching kids to knit so far! (My oldest will use a "round knitter", but she is struggling with getting the new stitches to slide off of the needles for straight knitting) My only consolation is that Ellery just turned 8 and the learn to knit class will be aimed at grades 4 through 6. Maybe a couple years will improve hand/eye coordination and patience? Just in case though, I'd love any tips that you could provide.

Oh, about the needles...Walmart has them in 3 packs (blue, red and yellow). Well, the Morningside Walmart does, I am a bit frustrated that Walmart craft sections are not standardized. Ours carries some Red Heart Needles and mostly Boye, but I don't think that any two have the same selection!

I'm hoping to be able to put together a starter kit for each student for $5. With the half price needles, that leaves me about $3 for a ball of suitable yarn. I have a ball winder, so I can split large, inexpensive skeins into starter quantities. I am also considering felting whatever project we create...hides a multitude of sins, but it will limit the yarn selections.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Chelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home