Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Trouble with Yarn Substitutions...

is that you always risk having your finished garment differ substantially from your anticipated result!

No photos of the Striped Vest, I can't swing taking a photo of me wearing it and DH is at work.

The Striped Vest (Summer 2006 Vogue Knitting) calls for LustreSheen acrylic yarn held double stranded. I used some mercerized cotton that I had on hand, also held double stranded. Cotton makes a heavier garment than does acrylic and while the drape of the fabric is lovely, it hangs a bit more than I'd like in a tank top. I fear that it will grow in length everytime I wear it. Also, cotton isn't known for being stretchy and it probably won't retain its shape well.

I'm not too broken up about it, the fit/drape issues were anticipated when I started the garment, so my expectations for the finished garment weren't high.

While I decide whether or not to frog, I'm checking gauge for this:

Again, I'm trying to use something from the stash...but much closer to the yarn indicated by the pattern.


Post a Comment

<< Home