Friday, January 25, 2008

The Course of True Love Hardly Ever Runs Smooth

Through some unlikely alignment of the planets (namely sleepover birthday parties and Girl Guide camp), two of our three pups were away tonight. Unfortunately, a combination of scheduling problems with the respite provider and a nasty, wet-cough/laryngitis virus decending upon Gillian yesterday forced us to revamp our date night from this...



To this...





Yup, nothing says "I love you" like rolling paint with your hubby!!

The lavender paint, "Posies" is for Ellery's room and was selected to co-ordinate with her Christmas present:



A couple years ago, when we put E and C into separate bedrooms, Ellery moved into the guestroom which had been decorated for, well...grown-up guests. Now, at 10.5 years of age, Ellery was eager for a room that "expressed her personality". My greatest fear is that her newly loud and obnoxious room does just that. Not my choice of palette, but cheery yet assertive colours also speak to my oldest's disposition.




The orange, "Agent Orange" if you ask DH, "Aurora Orange" according to Behr, is for Gillian's room. Against much advice to the contrary, I'm painting Gillian's room bright orange with lots of white trim. It's a very unusual choice for a bedroom, but orange is Gillian's favorite colour and it's the only colour she can reliably identify by name and the only adjective that she will use in conjunction with a noun (usually fish, as in Nemo, but other nouns too!) Anyway, if Gillian finds the colour as hideous as my husband and the nice man at Home Depot who works in the paint department think she will, it just might encourage her to "use her words" to tell us to repaint her digs.

Not too much knitting with all the painting and kid activities, but I did finish a small Clapotis using Maggie's lovely hand-coloured yarn.

4 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had an orange bedroom when I was about the age of 10 or 11. I also had an orange and shiny gold bed spred. It made me feel warm and sunny. I had a happy child hood

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Vaedri said...

Ooh, I like that bedspread. But, even though I do love the colour orange, I don't know that I could have my bedroom that colour. I think it would be a bit... vibrant for me when I'm trying to rest. Now, a bathroom, maybe... :)

And nice clapotis! It makes me think of spring.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Yvette said...

The orange may just surprise you. I've had an orange hued room before. Try for lots of white trim, and the effect is a very comfortable room. Love the bedding also.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger knitty_kat said...

ooh I hope it all went well. Painting is just too much work for me, but hey ya got to take the time when it presents itself. I'm sure you guys can make up the "date night" soon enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home